Monday, February 8, 2010

Spinach Salad

I love this salad! It's easy to throw together and is super versatile. I have made this salad a meal by simply adding chicken or shrimp. I made it for a side. I've made this salad so much that I rarely measure the ingredients and add whatever I have on-hand. This particular day, I have some red bell pepper that needed to be used up, so I added it. I thought it added a nice contrast of colors.

Spinach Salad

Ingredients:

1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar or cider vinegar
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon finely chopped onion
1 teaspoon finely chopped green pepper
1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
1 teaspoon ketchup
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mustard (I used a squirt of Dijon mustard)
1/4 teaspoon paprika
2 cups torn fresh spinach (I use organic baby spinach)
1 hard-cooked egg, sliced
3 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
Directions
1. In a jar with a tight-fitting lid, combine the first 10 ingredients; shake well. I have used my Cuisinart mini-prep and tossed in all the ingredients to avoid having to pre-chop everything.
2. Divide spinach between two serving bowls or plates; top with egg and bacon.
3. Drizzle with dressing. Serve immediately.

No comments:

Post a Comment