Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Chimicangas


I love Mexican Food. I have been making Chimichangas since college and I been using the same recipe that I had ripped out of a Seventeen magazine. They were excellent. However, they were fried. I saw this recipe in one of the blogs that I follow, I knew I had to try them. I had never thought of baking or browning them in a skillet.

I thought these were delicous and easy to put together, even for a weeknight meal. I think chimicangas will now be making a regular appearance in our little green kitchen again. Ole!

Beef and Bean Chimichangas


Ingredients:
1 tsp olive oil
1 lb of lean ground beef (I used ground turkey)
1/2 sweet yellow onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp oregano
Dash of red pepper flakes
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1 can of chili beans, drained

Flour tortillas
Cheddar cheese (I used sharp)

Salsa, Gucamole, and Sour Cream, for serving

Directions:

Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the ground beef and break up the meat into crumbles. Add the onion and garlic as well as the seasonings then cook for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the drained can of chili beans to the beef mixture and stir until well combined. Set aside.

Heat another skillet coated in cooking spray over medium heat. Heat the tortillas in paper towels in the microwave for 20 seconds so they are soft and pliable. Layer the tortilla with some cheese then some beef mixture. Fold in the sides and roll into a burrito, making sure the ends are closed. Place seam side down in the hot skillet and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve with guacamole, salsa and sour cream. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment